Friday, March 28, 2008

It's In The Valleys That We Grow

My name is Suzanne and the meaning of my name is "lily of the valley". I've been through many deep valleys in my life, but I've also been on the mountain tops (figuratively, if not literally). I hope and pray that I can be a "lily" to the people I encounter, to brighten the lives of others even in a small way. I try not to give myself the credit for any time that I have touched a life for the better. I strive to give all the credit to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, without whom I am nothing.

I am 42, soon to be 43, years old and I have definitely led an interesting life so far. I've experienced more bad things in my life than most, yet I don't really consider them bad things any more. What I have been through has shaped who I am and I wouldn't want to be anyone else. However, I do still struggle at times. It's just that now I truly know that the Lord will bring me through whatever difficulties I face.

A few years ago, I worked through a bible study called "Making Peace With Your Past" and in the course of the study, one of the other participants read the following poem. It touched me in such a special way. I hope it will touch those who read it here as well.

Sometimes life seems hard to bear,
Full of sorrow, trouble and woe
It's then I have to remember
That it's in the valleys I grow.
If I always stayed on the mountain top
And never experienced pain,
I would never appreciate God's love
And would be living in vain.
I have so much to learn
And my growth is very slow,
Sometimes I need the mountain tops,
But it's in the valleys I grow.
I do not always understand
Why things happen as they do,
But I am very sure of one thing.
My Lord will see me through.

My little valleys are nothing
When I picture Christ on the cross
He went through the valley of death;
His victory was Satan's loss.
Forgive me Lord, for complaining
When I'm feeling so very low.
Just give me a gentle reminder
That it's in the valleys I grow.
Continue to strengthen me, Lord
And use my life each day
To share your love with others
And help them find their way.
Thank you for valleys, Lord
For this one thing I know
The mountain tops are glorious
But it's in the valleys I grow!

1 comment:

Sing4joy said...

Hey Suzanne! Thanks for stopping by my blog! You've made a lovely first post. Can't wait to see how God uses you here! Blessings...