Wednesday, May 20, 2009

God Made Me a Birthday Cake

God made me a birthday cake!! Could there be anything cooler?!?

Today is my birthday. Usually, I spend my day being sad because the people who are supposed to love me the most sometimes don't even remember that it is the day that our society deems as your special day. And it wouldn't be so bad really, but people always ask the question I hate...what did he/she/they do for you? Or...what did you get? Or..where did you go? Or all of the afore mentioned questions. My mother seldom even remembers to call me...and I'm her first born! And it gets old having to answer "oh nothing, but that's ok". Because it's usually not ok. People give me that look that says they feel sorry for me and it leaves me wondering..why doesn't my family value me? Do they love me?

But enough of that whining! That's not why I'm writing this post. I'm writing it because I just have to tell you what my heavenly Father did for me today.

This morning I felt strong. I had resolved that it really was ok if my mom didn't call me (that's the thing that usually hurts most). I reminded myself that God has given me SO many other family members that do love me, mainly my sisters in Christ. I have several "moms" that make sure I'm taken care of. Most people only have one!

I had also decided that even if no one else was going to take care of me, then I would. If I wanted a pineapple upside down cake (my favorite cake in the world that my mom used to make), then I was just going to have to go home and make it myself. After all, I love to cook anyway. So I decided to make it a great day.

Then it happened. I was walking through the hall with my daughter and my friend Elsie saw us. She joked with us asking if we had hall passes and my daughter said that I didn't have to have a pass today because it's my birthday. Elsie, an incredibly amazing woman of God (and one of my "moms") excitedly told me happy birthday and gave me a big hug. Then she said "Oh! You should go get some of the cake that I made. It's in the teacher workroom. I don't know why I made it, just because... It's a pineapple upside down cake".

Thank you my heavenly daddy for remembering my birthday. Thank you for Elsie who you used as your instrument to make me a cake. It was sooooo yummy! Thank you for reminding me how much you love me. I love you too!!!

Editing to add...

If that had been it, it would have been amazing enough. Even though it really was going to be ok if my mom forgot my birthday, it still would've been better if she had remembered. And she did. Not only that, but when she called to wish me a happy birthday she said she needed to bring something over to my house. A few minutes later she showed up at my door with a warm out of the oven pineapple upside down cake (I honestly didn't not think she remembered that it was my favorite...and it was SO good!), a card and money to get myself a gift. I already thought I'd been blessed enough, but God chose to multiply my blessings. Our God truly is an AWESOME God!

5 comments:

Joan said...

Very cool.

Happy Birthday!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday! My birthday was yesterday~
Hope you have a great day!

Becky said...

That is AWESOME! I just looove when things like that happen.

Happy Birthday, Suzanne.

Susan said...

Isn't that just like God? Happy Birthday!!!!

His Girl said...

I'm so so so behind- but what great Birthday miracles! God is so good, and I hope this is the beginning of an amazing year for you!

Happy Birthday!