Friday, May 1, 2009

Germophobia

Germophobia: An apprehension concerning germs. Someone who has such a concerns is often referred to as a "germophobe" or "mysophobe". This phobia's concentration is on the destructive nature of germs, bacteria and other microbes.



That's the way it is defined on Germophobic.net (I hate putting a dot after dot net, so I am adding parentheses here). I just found out there is such a site..lol.



I haven't always been a germophobe. I think it's really only since I've worked in the school system that I have given myself that new label. Working with kids, particularly special ed. kids, can give you a whole new perspective on how germy your surroundings can be. I see the way kids cough or sneeze without covering their mouths and noses. I wonder sometimes if their parents ever taught them how to cover their faces, and then I remember my own 17 yr. old daughter who doesn't always do so.



This week has the germophobe in me especially aware though. Swine flu is all over the news. A school district that borders ours has shut down completely. And here I sit on potty patrol (thank you Lord this is the last day!!!) which means I occasionally have to go into the girls' restroom with the girls (to make sure they're not talking about the test). I usually won't step foot into the kids' restroom and this morning I had to go in to check on a girl who was coughing like crazy and telling me she feels horrible. Yes, I feel bad for her, but can you say ICK!?!



One of my co-workers has an allergy cough and I keep saying "get away from me swine flu!" I have my mini-can of Lysol and I'm afraid it may run out before the end of the day. I also have a large bottle of hand sanitizer, which is good because I heard that a CVS completely ran out of hand sanitizer yesterday. I know why!



I have a slight headache and I think my throat is getting scratchy...have I mentioned that I'm also a bit of a hypochondriac?

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

It's hard not to give into a bit of paranoia every now and then. Especially when you're in a public place. And the swine flu news has us all on edge. I keep telling myself that it's a flu, and it CAN be treated. I know no one wants to get flu--me included--but knowing that at least we have some Rx which help is comforting. I'm glad this is the last day of potty patrol for you.

Don't forget to take a Clorox wipe to your steering wheel. :)

Becky said...

I hear you. Being in public places is especially disconcerting, especially with the coughing lady touching every ear of corn on the bins at the grocery store. Blech. Kind of makes you want to bleach your produce, lol.

But then I've had a couple of other really bad flus in my life...and a wretched case of food poisoning, and by God's grace I'm still here. I understand that Tamiflu stuff works pretty well in treating folks who end up with the flu.

Yay for the end of testing!