Friday, November 21, 2008

The Oklahoma Trip

Things didn't start out as good as I planned. I felt the first scratchiness in my throat Thursday night and by Friday afternoon, my voice was gone and my sinuses were terribly congested. So while I had intended on talking more than listening, it was a listening kind of weekend for me. It was very frustrating for me, since I love to talk more than most anybody, but I still had fun.

When we first got to Seminole, we decided to go visit Pam's dad in the nursing home. My heart broke when I realized that I couldn't hug him since I was afraid I had a cold and certainly didn't want to pass it on to him. As sick as he is, I doubt I will have a chance to see him again, so I am glad we went. It was so hard to see him like that though.

Friday night Pam's brother Eddie made us the most amazing pizza with pepperoni, sausage and jalapenos! Yummm! We sat around and talked and laughed. I was able to get myself to go to bed much earlier than usual (most times we stay up till 2:00 or 3:00am and then get up at 7:00) since I wasn't feeling that well and really needed the sleep.

The next morning we drove 2 hours to Tulsa to do our "shopping"...there actually wasn't much shopping going on (as I had expected). At lunch time we decided on Mexican food (love it!), and I got to sit next to my favorite Oklahoma sister, Annie. Then we went to the mall for more shopping.

That evening we found out that sister Lisa's teenage son had an infection in his hand (back in Seminole) and needed to go to the E.R. As a result, it looked like we would have to go back to Seminole rather than stay at the hotel with the other girls. Thankfully, we got word a little while later that the doctors said that Lisa's son was going to be ok, so we decided it would be alright to stay in Tulsa for the night.

I was thrilled to get to spend more time with the group that had already spent the night before in Tulsa. While I didn't get to have much actual conversation with them, it was still fun to hang out and listen to their stories. We were laughing so loudly in the hotel room that I was afraid someone would complain, but thankfully no one did.

Sunday we headed back to Seminole, said goodbye to the ones that were there, and headed back to Dallas. We all made it back safely and I'm glad we were able to make our trip again. I look forward to next year and hope that then I will stay well enough to TALK.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Bummer on getting sick, but it sounds like you had a great visit in spite of it all. It's always great to be able to laugh your head off with loved ones, isn't it?

Susan said...

Hope you are feeling better. I love girls' weekends. Sometimes I anticipate them so much I make myself sick. Just a kid at heart! :)

Gretchen said...

Darn those colds!

So glad that you got to see your friends and still enjoy your time together, though. Glad that your friend's son is okay, too. These girls weekends are so priceless. Thank you for sharing.