Monday, December 15, 2008

Brother, can you spare a tree?

Ahh, the great debate...real or artificial Christmas tree??? We've always had an artificial tree. My parents always had the artificial ones and so did D's parents, plus I don't think a real tree would go well with my allergies. So that's just the way it is in our household.

Last night I finally started to pull out our Christmas decorations. I took down the pictures on the mantle, and placed our beautiful new nativity scene (actually it is a one piece statue of Jesus, Mary and Joseph that I got at our bunco gift exchange, love it!) in the center with some other items. Then I went through the big boxes of ornaments and got rid of the ones I never really liked in the first place. I made sure there was a place ready for the tree and my husband asked T if he would go get it for us.

A minute later, T drug in the box and opened it up. No tree. Empty box. Then we remembered. Last year, the tree we'd had for many years was such a hassle to put up and take down that we decided to just throw it out on the curb with the trash. It apparently never crossed our minds to pull the box out of storage and throw it away too. Our plan was to buy a new tree right after Christmas when they are on sale. I'm not sure why we didn't do that.

So, should you happen to throw out your old artificial Christmas tree...and should you happen to decide not to buy a new one right after Christmas, make sure to find a way to remind yourself that you have no tree for next year. I guess I know what I'll be shopping for tonight.

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

is it okay that i am laughing??

Laura said...

Your story reminds me of something that happened to my aunt a few years back. She forgot she threw away the tree and then she thought that she gave the tree to someone. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I have never had a Christmas tree of any kind until this year. Its my 1st year in my new home and I am so enjoying my tree. Its artifical with the lights already on them.
Have a blessed day!

Tracy said...

That is so funny! ;o}~I love real trees. We have one every year now. We can smell it thru the whole house.

Becky said...

Too funny!

My mom used to be a real stickler for real trees, because she loved the smell. But after 30 years or so of wrestling with putting on the lights, she finally treated herself to a pre-lit glorious tree that takes only minutes to throw her box of ornaments on each year, lol.

Her sister did her one better...she leaves the whole tree decorated in the basement (wrapped in a giant plastic bag to keep off dust and such) and her husband hauls it up every year and does the honors of unwrapping it. Of course, they have about 10 trees, because she is an avid collector, and so they keep a whole decorated forest in their basement, lol.

Susan said...

Thanks for your prayers for me today.

Do you have a tree yet?