Monday, December 8, 2008

Pure Joy?

I have never read the book called "The Road Less Traveled", but from what I hear, it is a great book. I started to read it once, and I remember that it begins with a profound statement, "Life is difficult". Sometimes I think we get it into our heads that life should be easier. Why do we think that way?

We definitely aren't promised in The Bible that our lives will be easy. In fact, we are told that our lives here on earth may be quite precarious. However, we are told that we should "consider it pure joy" when we face trials, that it develops perseverance (James 1:2-3). What's up with that? Pure joy???


How many of us consider it pure joy to go through tough times? I know I don't. I have a tendency to whine and complain. Sometimes I can let one little thing knock the wind out of my sails. If I don't do a self check and remind myself of what truly matters, I can find myself dwelling on all that's wrong in my life. I sometimes forget how truly blessed I am.



Maybe I should take a cue from my friend Gretchen who does Glatitude Mondays (love those so much Gretchen!!). I need to be focusing on what's right in my life, not what's wrong. So here goes:

1. I have had enough money to pay my bills for some time now. Praise God, I'm blessed to know how great that is since I've experienced times when I struggled so hard to pay them.

2. I don't have to worry about being too hot or too cold in my home as I have A/C and heating that works fine. I experienced times in my life when I didn't have those.

3. My children have never had trouble passing the TAKS Test in school, which can determine whether a child moves on to the next grade. I have seen so many anxious kids work and work to pass it and still fail.

4. I have friends who care about me and encourage me.

5. I have relatively good health.

6. I have a husband who loves me.

7. I have 3 great kids, including an amazing adult daughter who is also a friend.

8. I love my job!

9. I go to a wonderful church.

10. I have a God who loved me enough to send His Son to die for my sins.

Counting my blessings...

7 comments:

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Amen, sister! Great post.

"White Christmas" is one of my all time favorite movies, and I saw it again last week. I love, love, LOVE one of the songs Bing Crosby sings in it. "Counting My Blessings"

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DARnIsN2bc

This morning my boss and I learned a long time good friend of ours has a massive brain tumor believed to be malignant. He's on the OR table as I type this. I ain't got no problems!! (Please pray for Jim today.)

Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow!

Sheryl said...

Pure joy?? Oh I have read that passage many times over the past year and a half. Wondering, what on earth...how?? Still don't have the answers but I am clinging to the One who does.

Lately I have been counting my blessings too instead of focusing on all that is wrong. Wow, I have it made!!

Love ya!!
~Sheryl

Becky said...

Love this post!

We have friends that, going on that same verse, go so far as to whoop and holler "Yee HAW!" when a trial hits. They say,"This means that the Lord is going to turn this trial to gold somehow..." and the cool thing is? He always does. Either refines them through it, or intervenes in an unmistakably divine way in their circumstances, or provides somehow they never would have expected.

Anyway, I've found that gratitude is ALWAYS a good way to handle difficulties in life, if for no other reason, because I know of others going through far worse than me most of the time.

Love the pic of your kids down below.

Susan said...

That's it! Gratitude = Joy.

Gretchen said...

One of the reasons I do Gladitude Mondays is that I tend to succomb to depression. While I don't think doing this is a cure-all, being Pollyanna once in a while is re-focusing for me.

I'm so glad that the Lord led us to each other, Suzanne. On each end of several computers, it seems like a lot of us can relate to and find comfort in each other's encouragement and grace. And I'm terribly glad about that. xxxooo

Gretchen said...

P.S. and BTW, my 12 year old, is soooo very glad to be out of the book of James! :) "What a downer, Mom!"

His Girl said...

lovin' this post!

by the end i was all, *sigh*


ready to go take today on!