Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hurt

Why is it that I let certain things bring me down so fast? I can be feeling great in one moment, but then something relatively minor happens and I feel so depressed...especially when it comes to my mother.

I called my mother this evening, half out of obligation since it's been a while. I only got to talk to her for a couple of minutes before K called. K really needed to talk to me about something, so I told mom I'd call her back in a few minutes. Fifteen minutes later I called mom back (and after the talk with K, I really needed to talk to my mom) and I got the question "Don't you watch American Idol?" I told her yes...she laughed this weird laugh she does sometimes (maybe because she knows it's not right what she's doing?) and we got off the phone. The thing I don't get is that she had to have noticed the frustration (and the big sigh) in my voice when I called back. So why isn't it important enough to her to find out why? Why is American Idol more important?

I was reading a book today by Max Lucado called The Great House of God. In it, he talks about our redemption and adoption as children of God, how much He cares for us. Like any adoptive parent, "God sought you, found you, signed the papers, and took you home". As I read the book, I smiled and my eyes teared up as I thought about how very thankful I am that I am God's child. And part of the reason that means so much to me is that I have struggled so much with things my earthly parents have done.

It hurts to be essentially told I'm not as important as a television show. It's one of those times when I cling to God. I cling to scripture. I cling to the words of Christian authors. I cling to music and lyrics of people who understand how painful this world can be. Then I am reminded that it won't always be this way.


There Will Be a Day
Jeremy Camp

I try to hold on to this world with everything I have
But I feel the weight of what it brings, and the hurt that tries to grab
The many trials that seem to never end, His word declares this truth,
that we will enter in this rest with wonders anew

But I hold on to this hope and the promise that He brings
That there will be a place with no more suffering

(Chorus)
There will be a day with no more tears,
no more pain, and no more fears
There will be a day when the burdens of this place,
will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face
But until that day, we'll hold on to you always

I know the journey seems so long
You feel you’re walking on your own
But there has never been a step
Where you’ve walked out all alone

Troubled soul don’t lose your heart
Cause joy and peace he brings
And the beauty that’s in store
Outweighs the hurt of life’s sting

But I hold on to this hope and the promise that He brings
That there will be a place with no more suffering

(Chorus)

I can’t wait until that day where the very one I’ve lived for always
will wipe away the sorrow that I’ve faced
To touch the scars that rescued me from a life of shame and misery
this is why this is why I sing

(Chorus)

Romans 8:18 (New International Version)
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hugging you from far away...

Susan said...

Why, of course you can come live with me!

Becky said...

Love that song!

I hear ya where parents and their TV shows are concerned...though with us it's my MIL. She has been known to ditch our Women's Missionary Auxiliary meetings (which she leads) early at church to get home in time for Survivor. She has also been guilty of eating and running when we've had her over for dinner, in order to get home for Dancing with the Stars.

I've felt rather slighted by this in the past, but my husband looks at it from another angle...for 35 years she took care of her very sick husband (an amputee) who was in and out of the hospital a lot, and most of the time dominated the remote control. Now, it's her time to do some of the things she enjoys doing, and she's relishing that she's free to do it all.

Anyway, I know well the feelings when you really need them to listen, but they're too busy...and agree that you're very wise to cling to our "Abba, Father" during that time.

His Girl said...

*sigh*

big, fat, "I totally get it"s from over here.

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Just now catching up on my blog reading. Sorry I'm behind!

It amazes me that even when we KNOW God is crazy about us, people still have the power to hurt us. One of the things I love most about Abba Father is that He will never, ever be too busy or preoccupied with ANYTHING when we "call" Him. I love Jeremiah 33:3 ("God's 'phone number'") because it promises He'll answer when we call. Cling to Him, dear one!