Friday, January 16, 2009

Being a mom is not for the faint of heart...

Psalm 63:1-3 (New International Version)
1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.

This has been one of the most difficult weeks I can remember. Not only have things been difficult at work as it is testing week, but my oldest daughter who teaches where I work has been very sick. She's been having problems with her digestive system for quite a while. Now she is anemic and dehydrated and feels terrible. She has had to miss three days of work, and we're talking about someone who never takes a day off no matter how sick she's been in the past.

M finally had a procedure done to determine the problem on Wednesday and should know very soon exactly what the problem is, and she has been started on meds to help her get better. Still, after a week of medication, she's still not feeling better yet. Plus, I think she told me that she's lost seventeen pounds in the last month or so.

I think the very most difficult part of having children is when you have a sick child and you can't do anything to make them better except to give your support. I really do know that God is in control, and it seems that things will be ok (eventually), but right now it's just really tough to do this. I have been working so hard to just keep my focus on God, and it has been working. I know that I would be in a MUCH worse place without Him. So I sing my praises and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Please join me in praying for my daughter.

Praising Him in the valley, but hoping for a mountaintop soon!

UPDATING Saturday to say that I called M today and she seems to finally be feeling somewhat better. Thank you all so much for your prayers!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Awww, I totally understand you in this. Nothing is worse than when one of your kids is sick. I've often said I'd rather be sick myself than for them to have to suffer.

I'll be praying for you guys, that the doctors are able to get to the bottom of things and that your daughter will be on the mend soon.

Susan said...

Oh shoot! I'm so sorry your daughter is sick. I'm praying for her and you.

lrh said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog today. I have not been reading much myself lately, either.
I will add you and your daughter to my prayer list. That's a lot of weight to lose in one month. Being the mom of an adult child is tough - isn't it?

Gretchen said...

Lord, we place M and her momma in the palm of your hand and ask that you comfort, keep and heal. In Jesus' name. amen.