Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11-2001 Never Forget

I didn't want to forget that day. So I journaled how I felt. Reading it today, I can see that I was unable to convey my emotion through my words on a page. I was so much more upset than these words seem to tell. I am glad I journaled it though. Here is what I wrote that day:

September 11, 2001

Dean and I walked the kids to school this morning. I chased Tyler while he laughed, trying to catch up with him. I thought to myself, at the time, that I knew I would cherish that memory forever. What I didn’t know is that this would be such a defining day in my life for another reason. We dropped the kids off at school, kissed them goodbye and went for a walk. It’s such a brilliant beautiful day today. Dean and I both talked about how wonderful a day it was…how cool it was…so much cooler than it usually is this time of year. We really enjoyed our walk.

When we got home, Dean went and turned on the shower to get ready for work. I went into the bedroom and turned on the TV. That’s when I saw it…The World Trade Center…both towers in flames. Peter Jennings was just telling the world about how two planes had crashed into the buildings, an apparent terrorist attack. I called to Dean to come listen. The shower still running, we both stood and stared at the television in horror. Then the report that the Pentagon had also been attacked. The magnitude of all of this is beyond belief. I keep hoping that I’ll wake up and this will all have been a terrible nightmare.

How do I explain this to my children? I think of the times that I’ve prayed for the parents in war torn countries and hope there are parents in other countries praying for us now. I pray that God will give me the words to tell my children. I pray that my children will not be made to live in fear.

I walked outside in the front yard and looked up at the sky. It’s so quiet. There are no planes in the sky. I talked to my mom on the phone. She works near Love Field Airport. She says that it’s strangely quiet there.

My imagination runs wild with thoughts of how our lives might change in the months to come.

I pray that God will touch the hearts of those involved in this attack on our country. I pray that they will come to realize what they have done.

God Bless America…those words never meant more to me than they do today.

3 comments:

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

GREAT post. My memories of that day are etched in my mind as well. Thank you for taking the time to help us remember what we've lost but also how we've been blessed.

Gretchen said...

Bless you today as you sit with your memories. As we all do.

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing. It's a day (week) that will be forever etched in my mind.