Monday, September 1, 2008

Help! Weekend..why are you leaving me so quickly?!?

I am so thankful to have a three day weekend. It is just going by so quickly! I still have SO much to get done before this day is over. Energy. need. more. energy. That's part of the problem. Both D and I are looking the what we wish we could get done this weekend and feeling tired a bit overwhelmed. There is just too much to do.

I did get the grocery shopping done on Saturday. That was a priority since we were out of pretty much everything and I was getting really tired of fast food (not to mention that it's terribly unhealthy). T mowed the lawn and D vacuumed the pool. K and I finished painting her room (or got it as finished as it's going to be). D fixed the faucets that were leaking terribly (although he couldn't get the right part and had to make multiple trips to Home Depot and now one of the faucets has to be turned the on way for off and the off way for on..if that makes any sense). The house has been straightened up a little...and whew! Maybe we've done more than I thought.

It's just that there is so much more to get done. The dishes keep getting dirty and the laundry is still piled up and the dogs have torn up something and...and...I could go on, but feel the need to stop. I need to stop because I am just stressing myself out even more.

So I will make a priority list and a chore chart. I will threaten the loss of cell phones to let my children know how important it is that they do their chores (because that's the only thing that will work sometimes). I will start a load of laundry and a load of dishes. And I will get done what I can get done before this weekend comes to a close. Then I will try not to worry about how much more there is left to do...

Now I need your help. The whole time I've been typing this post, I've been wondering what scripture would be most applicable to my situation. I can't think of one. What do you think? What scripture would you offer to me now? I know that you will have great ones to offer and I love you and thank you in advance my dear friends!

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Psalm 46:10

Be still and know that I am God.


It will all get done, and what doesn't get done will wait. I know exactly the anxious feeling you're describing--I can feel it jumping off the screen. Be still my friend. At least for a moment. I know when I feel this way and just take a moment to breathe Him in and ask for His priorities, my day somehow falls into place.

Blessings on your week.

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Colossians 3:23

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men."

I wish I could say I've been half as productive as you. We've "played" all weekend. Saturday we spent the day with dear friends, beginning with brunch that turned into dinner and then playing games with more friends and arriving home at 2:30 in the morning. After church on Sunday, my entire family got together for lunch, and then everyone came over here to hang out. After sandwiches for dinner, we all played a rousing game of Chicken Foot (domino game if you're unfamiliar) that lasted until almost midnight. We slept late this morning and are doing laundry now before our friends who live in Houma, Lousiana arrive for dinner.

Not much work done, but lots of fun was had! Hope the rest of your weekend is fun... at least a little!

Susan said...

Nehemiah 8:10. "The joy of the Lord is your strength." I can only "get to joy" through gratitude.

By the way, Joy Fairy, one of my friends called me "Litle Miss Sunshine" the other day and it made my heart sing. That is my prayer.

Now, my prayer for you is that the joy of the Lord is your strength today.

Joan said...

Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and BE HAPPY in his WORK—this is a gift of God. Ecclesiastes 5:19

The one I use to get the kids to do their chores:
2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Becky said...

Luke 12:22-29/Luke 6:25-34 (same parable)

Luke 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about it's own things. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."

I'm learning to plan for and do what I can today, and just let tomorrow worry about itself. The important stuff always manages to get done. The Lord knows we have a lot to do on any given day, and doesn't expect us to sacrifice everything...but to listen and obey. Somehow, in God's inexplicable way, when you're doing what He's called you to do...the rest sort of falls into place. He sees to it.