Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Don't Get Too Comfortable...

Just when you do get comfortable, things change again. That's the way it is with life in general, and that's the way it is with my job too. I thought I had a "permanent" schedule for work, although I know from my experience last year that things can change from moment to moment. The principal has decided to shake things up considerably. So instead of being in one classroom for most of the day, tomorrow I'll be back to doing what I did last year.

I'll be traveling from classroom to classroom to classroom and so on. There are 8 class periods in a day and I'm responsible for helping kiddos in 3 classes 1st period, 2 classes each of periods 2-7, and 5 classes in 8th period. Needless to say, I'll be walking A LOT... I guess that's good since I could use the exercise. It just seems a little harder to build good relationships with kids when you have SO many of them. And because of the huge number of classes on my schedule I may not see some of the kids for over a week at a time.

I just realized that the last paragraph sounds like a math word problem (shudder). Well actually, that's because it kind of is one. I still haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to work it out either. It's pretty much insanity...but I found this one the web, so I'm good:


HOW TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LEVEL OF INSANITY IN THE WORKPLACE

Page yourself over the intercom. Don't disguise your voice.

Find out where your boss shops and buy exactly the same outfits. Wear them one day after your boss does. This is especially effective if your boss is of a different gender than you.

Make up nicknames for all your coworkers and refer to them only by these names. "That's a good point, Sparky." "No, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Cha-cha."

Send e-mail to the rest of the company telling them exactly what you're doing. For example: "If anyone needs me, I'll be in the bathroom."

Hi-Lite your shoes. Tell people you haven't lost them as much since you did this.

While sitting at your desk, soak your fingers in Palmolive liquid. Call everyone Madge.

Hang mosquito netting around your cubicle. When you emerge to get coffee or a printout or whatever, slap yourself randomly the whole way.

Put a chair facing a printer. Sit there all day and tell people you're waiting for your document.

Every time someone asks you to do something, anything, ask him or her if they want fries with that.

Send e-mail back and forth to yourself engaging yourself in an intellectual debate. Forward the mail to a co-worker and ask her to settle the disagreement.

Encourage your colleagues to join you in a little synchronized chair-dancing.

Put your trash can on your desk. Label it "IN."

Feign an unnatural and hysterical fear of staplers.

Send e-mail messages saying there's free pizza or donuts or cake in the lunchroom. When people drift back to work complaining that they found none, lean back, pat your stomach and say, "Oh you've got to be faster than that."

Put decaf in the coffee maker for three weeks. Once everyone has withdrawn from caffeine addiction, switch to espresso.

8 comments:

Gretchen said...

Sounds like you know rule one is: never lose your sense of humor. Hang in there! Love the one about the Palmolive. :)

Susan said...

I laughed out loud! You'll need some good walking shoes and your sense of humor every day! Just think...you can be the Joy Fairy to even more kiddos!

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Maybe you should at to the list: Ask all the other people in the elevator if THEY hear "those voices" too.

Even if you're runnin' all over, you WILL make a difference in the lives of kids who need it. The Lord will use you to bless them... and bless you in the process I'd bet.

Have a relaxing evening.

Suzanne said...

Jenn, that one totally should've been on the list! LOL

Joan said...

FUNNY!
Thanks for sharing.

His Girl said...

i needed that more than you could humanly know.

laughed hard enough to cry... feeling better.

yup. one of those days.

lrh said...

Just when I was thinking I missed the days of being a TA I had to read your post today. I don't see how they expect your schedule to work.
God bless you

Sing4joy said...

Oh man! I want to get a job just so I can do all those! I bet it would be even funnier if I just picked an office and started showing up like I actually worked there. Hmmm....