Monday, September 29, 2008

Neti Pot

If you're eating or have a weak stomach, you may want to turn away. No, I'm not going to go into the worst of the grossness, but believe me I could get graphic here.

I have been fighting off a sinus infection by taking my allergy medicine every day, but even with the meds I've had quite a bit of congestion, hacking and coughing especially in the mornings. One of my friends at work suggested I get a neti pot. She said she has been using one for a couple of years and has only had one sinus infection during that time. She said she used to get them all the time.

The neti pot kind of looks like Aladdin's lamp to me. You can click here to see one. I've seen the strange contraption before on tv and heard about it from friends, but I was always scared to get one. It just didn't seem natural to me.

Basically, you fill the thing with lukewarm water and a salt solution. Then, with your head over the sink you stick the spout in one side of your nose and turn it up to pour it in. In a second or two, the salt water solution comes out the other side of your nose. Afterward, you blow your nose. Sounds gross, I know, but it's supposed to clean our your sinuses and help get rid of infection.

I finally broke down last night and bought a neti pot for me and one for K since we both have been so miserable that it seemed like the right time to take a chance...to be brave. Wow, after using it just once last night it seems to have helped tremendously. I woke up at 4am and was so excited not to have a huge amount of congestion (in fact almost none) and I could breathe through my nose! Only problem was that the excitement kept me from getting back to sleep...lol. Not a problem, since I had slept SO much better during the time I did sleep.

Sometimes it really pays to be brave.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Neti pots are great! We use them from time to time. It's not very pleasant, but it does work. It's not a lot of fun if you don't get the water going just right, either. Still worth the risk. Glad you are feeling better.

Gretchen said...

Yes, they do go against all laws of nature (think swimming pool with water up your nose), but I hear they do work. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but I'm tempted. In a sick and desperate sort of way--not the same temptation for chocolate. ;)

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

My husband swears by the neti pot! Recently a friend sent us this link to a YouTube video that was professionally done to show how to use one. We laughed so hard 'cuz NOBODY could be this calm while using a neti. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg

Jenster said...

I've never heard of a neti pot. I do know along time ago I was supposed to get a baby bulb syringe for my husband to do the same thing, but I got him an enima syringe instead. He refused to use it. :o)

Joan said...

I hope you get to feeling better.

God Bless

Suzanne said...

Jenn, what kind of drugs is that woman on???

Jenster, I wonder why...lol

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

She must be on valium or something similar. I can't imagine being that still while using a neti!

Tracy said...

Okay...I am so glad you posted this. I took my oldest boy to the dr. yesterday and she gave me a prescrip for veramyst (a nasal spray) because he stays stopped up all of the time. I have been calling around this morning and the cheapest I can find it is a whopping 89.99! I may try this first! Thanks for sharing!