Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Night Lights




I grew up in the land of "Friday Night Lights", but I didn't really have much school spirit. I guess maybe I just had too many things on my plate to care much about other things that high school kids are supposed to be doing. I don't have those memories of camaraderie that come with being part of the band or the football team or the cheerleaders. I was in choir, but even that was done halfheartedly. So many times I have wished I had those memories, memories of being part of something.


It's interesting how God chooses to heal our hurts, how he gives us something that will fix even the unfixable. For me, being the co-crew chief for the band crew is helping to fix that part of me that didn't get to experience school spirit. Even greater for me is that my kids go to the same school where I went, my alma mater.


I'm part of the team now. Along with other parents, I work hard on Friday nights to make sure our band kids have what they need. I help to fill up hundreds of water cups and pass them out, passing out sodas at half time (shouting "only take one, only take one!"...lol), and passing out plumes for their hats. It may not sound like much, but it really takes a lot of effort and cooperation. It also satisfies the need to be part of something, something I never really experienced in high school.


Standing there holding up my index finger (we're #1!), as I sing my school song I do have school spirit. I have something I longed for when I was younger.


Whatever it is...whatever your "unfixable" thing, it doesn't matter that you can't go back and do it over again. God can fix it. He finds a way. Believe He can. And He will.


5 comments:

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

I LOVED this post! I related to it. All four years of high school, I was on the drill team. But that was because I loved to dance, and I was good at it. Over those years, I think I had three "friends" that would be considered more than acquaintances. My close friends were older a few years older (my sister's age), and I really didn't "fit in" with the peeps my own age. Although I loved WHAT I was doing, I didn't love the people I was doing it with. Looking back now, I realize why, but back then I didn't.

Of the girls who were seniors with me on drill team, one went on to be a Playboy centerfold, two were pregnant before we graduated, one went to prison, one died shortly after graduation, one was a dyed-in-the-wool athiest (our captain, no less), two made it their mission to oust me from every possible activity, and the rest simply didn't have anything in common with me.

NOW, however, I have some of the very best, close, wonderful, spiritually mature, loving, giving friends I could hope for. And I am part of something, too: their lives.

Thanks for ushering me down this twisted memory lane that landed me in thankfulness. I'm glad you're enjoying your post and making a huge difference in the lives of the kids. It is important!

You guys batten down the hatches and stay safe this weekend.

Joan said...

Beautiful post. I'm so happy that you got to participate now with band. There is something about football games that gets the school spirit flowing.

Praying for you all in Texas.
Peace and Love.

Becky said...

Awww, so true!

Because of my parents divorce at that time, my high school years were something of a blur. I couldn't participate in sports or band or anything because I was needed at home.

But the Lord continues to "restore the years the locusts have eaten", and just last night we were at a high school football game where my hubby announces the games. It was great fun. I LOOOVE the enthusiasm and excitement of all the kids doing their part to make the evenings so fun...drill team, cheer squad, marching band, football team...even the pep squad sitting near us. This time around it was even better, because I was with my own family, which by God's grace is whole and complete...making good memories for them at the same time as reliving some of the nostalgia of youth.

lrh said...

I think it's cool that your children attend the same high school you attended. My neice has that bond with her mom and so will her daughter one day. Being a military family that didn't settle until our children were nearly grown, we don't have that. Enjoy that and your newfound school spirit. You are so right about God fixing our broken pieces.

Gretchen said...

Such true words. Thanks for sharing your praise and healing, Susanne.

Glad you're safe.

BTW, lurrve the show FNL.