Thursday, August 28, 2008

Anger Management

Psalm 4:4 (New International Version)
In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent.

Today at work, I had to deal with a very angry young man. He was upset because the lead teacher got on to him for disrupting the class. It wasn't a big deal really, but this child is the type that seems to have a very short fuse. I was able to take him out into the hall and get him calmed down and then the rest of the time in class he was fine.

Another time today, a child I worked with last year walked up to me in the hallway and smiled. I was so glad to see him and gave him a hug. He has Asperger's Syndrome, which means he is prone to what is kind of like a temper tantrum or "meltdown". The problems with his temper led to a lot of problems last year, but he seems to be doing better now.

Those two occurences made me think. Do you ever have those times when you can finally seem to understand what the good is that has come from something difficult you've been through? I had one of those times today. I realized that were it not for things I'd been through myself (and things that at the time I'd rather not have gone through!), then I wouldn't the abilities I have now.

I L.O.V.E. working with kids who have anger issues. I seem to be really good at working with them. I can sometimes develop a relationship with kids that few others can. I know how to remain calm and I know how to show respect even when I'm being disrespected. And I don't say this to brag, because I know that my natural self could never, ever do it. I know that when I'm able to do these things it is because of the fact that Christ lives in me.

There were so many trials in my life that trained me for what I do now in my job. The fact that I was abused as a child helps me to always stop to think about what the reasons may be for a child acting out in class. I've had plenty to be angry about in my life, so I can see why they might be angry. I have a husband with some anger issues and a child who we're pretty sure has Asperger's Syndrome , which means we deal with "meltdowns" frequently. All of these seem to have been boot camp for working in special education.

It never ceases to amaze me how God works in our lives to use all things, good or bad, for the glory of His kingdom. It's not easy going through the tribulations of our lives and sometimes I want out of them so badly, but I am thankful to know that He does have a plan. And I am thankful to be part of it.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for your prayers about my exhaustion. I'm feeling much more energized today!

5 comments:

Joan said...

It's cool that you see that God uses our trials to help others for His glory. Those kids are blessed to have you.

Thanks for sharing,

Jenster said...

Praise God you've changed your ashes to beauty!

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

While I absolutely HATE that you had to go through hard times, I'm thrilled you have surrendered your past hurts to the Lord so HE can use them to minister to others. So many (probably fair to say "most") of the kids we work with in the prison system deal with anger issues on some level. The sad part is that no one cares enough to take time to reach out to them. Praise God for your willingness to do just that and make a difference in their lives. Perhaps if more people did what you do, we'd see fewer teens in prison.

Blessings, dear friend.

Becky said...

Awww, this reminds me of 1 Peter 1:6,7.

Those kids probably have no understanding, but it's apparent that the Lord has strategically placed you there with those kids for these exact moments (as He did with Esther becoming the King's wife for that specific time). Yes, your difficulties prepared you for the kind of understanding you can offer these young people...and your obedience will be blessed by the Lord as well.

Keep on shining that light...those kids are indeed very blessed to have you there to help them.

Gretchen said...

I echo Jenster. My son has meltdowns. He doesn't have Aspberger's specifically, but has a lot of the same behaviors. It's so hard, too because he's aware of his every misstep. Praise God for people in his path who are like you, filled with grace to help him be the best he can be. Parents can't raise these kids alone. I'm always so thrilled when another trusted adult enters the lives of my children.