Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sometimes It's True...

Last night, my procrastinator of a son remembered that he had a science project due today. He had to make a cell membrane model. The only reason he remembered is because we have something called Teleparent here. Teleparent is wonderful because it is an automated system that calls on the phone to let you know things like when kids have projects due, to study for a test, etc. This gave T a chance to get his project turned in on time.



T still procrastinated past the time he knew about the project (about 7pm) until 9:30 or so. Then he had to find things around the house to use to make his cell model because he had lost the opportunity to have us pick up anything from the store (the offer had been made). He started brainstorming and eventually came up with an idea after I suggested homemade play dough (flour, water and salt).



T worked most of the night on his creation, kneading paint from my craft box into pieces of dough to make different colors for the parts of it (we were out of food coloring). When I got up to let the dogs out at 3am, he was still working on it (I'm sure he took breaks to watch t.v., but still).



When I got up this morning, I saw two cell models made, one a plant cell and one an animal cell. They looked great! He had stuck toothpicks into the different parts and labeled them with little pieces of paper. The colors looked good. It was really nice work. I wish I had a picture to show you how good it looked. But alas...sometimes it's true...the dog ate his homework. Some time between the time I left for work and the time that Tyler got out of the shower our dog who loves anything bread-like (flour, salt and water..close enough) chomped on his work.

The dog ate both the plant cell model and the animal cell model, at least parts of both. You may remember Molly from when I posted about my dogs. Molly is T's dog. He adores her, but I betcha he doesn't like her much today. And I'm not gonna like her much either if the non-toxic paint he used to make the models upset her stomach and I have to clean that up when I get home.

So I emailed the teacher and let her know he really did do the work. She said that he could re-do it and turn it in late for a 70. Plus, she said that if he wanted extra credit he could do both the plant and the animal cell models. Uh yep, that's right...he didn't have to do both in the first place, only one. Yet another thing T would've known had he been paying attention when the project was assigned.

Lesson learned?? We'll see...

8 comments:

Jenster said...

Oh man!! That's so lame for him!! At least he knows what he's doing now. :o)

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

He has time to stop by and get some food coloring now. :)

Ah, the teenage years. Hang in there, Mom!

Gretchen said...

B.u.m.m.e.r. :(

Good for you for not stepping in. I don't think I would've done the project for him, but I sure would've done waaaay too much lecturing, and all he'd hear would be "blah, blah, blah." You are wise.

Joan said...

Shouldn't take as long the second time, right?

Lessons learned the hard way usually stick.

Someday they will be adults taking care of us. Then the tables will be turned.

God Bless

Susan said...

Oh my! Proud of you for not swooping in to rescue him too much. Dog gone it. It's the only way I've ever learned much of anything!

Tracy said...

That sounds like something that would happen around here...too funny!

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

Ahhh procrastination....I was always the one asking for an extention, even through college! I don't know if I ever learned my lesson....but the dog also never ate my homework! :) Sounds like you were very patient through it all! Way to go mom.

Hopefully, round 2 will go much smoother with a finished product that is uneaten! :)

Have a great weekend.

Becky said...

Your son will be telling that tale for years, "No, I'm serious...the dog really DID eat my homework!"

Oy...but it is a bummer to have to REDO an assignment.