Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dogs


I love dogs. I must, I have three of them. I didn't really plan to have three dogs. It just kinda happened that way.

Our oldest dog, Molly (she's 6) is some sort of Rottweiler mix with a very small head. She came from the humane society as I'm big on taking in dogs that might not have a chance otherwise. Molly captured my heart as she smiled at me and practically begged me to take her home. My husband kept saying "she's too big"...note to self, listen to husband in the future when he says that. Molly was about 4 months old when we got her and the vet said she'd be around 60-75 lbs. full grown. That would be pretty big, but think Clifford the Big Red Dog...yeah almost that big. Molly now weighs about 135 lbs. She is also known as "Big Rotten" because she is. This is what Molly does best:






Then there's Ruby. Ruby is my "baby dog". She is some sort of Papillon looking mix, but one of her ears fell when she was spayed...the vet said that happens sometimes. She's sitting right beside me or in my lap pretty much all the time. About 6 months after we got Molly, someone we knew adopted a dog from the humane society. When you adopt one from the humane society, you agree to have them spayed or neutered so as to control the pet population. Well when the person I knew took her new dog in to be spayed, the vet told her that the dog was already pregnant. I'm so glad she was, because one of her puppies is my Ruby dog. Ruby is also known as "little rotten" because she is...




Lastly, we have Rue. Rue is a pure bred Australian Sheperd and usually looks more like this, but we just had her hair cut a couple of weeks ago. Rue came to us after having been in several homes. The first people who owned her gave her away because she wanted too much attention, which at first I could not understand at all. Now I see that she totally is an attention hog, but we love her anyway. Well she was shuttled from person to person till our daughter and her then fiance' took her in. They asked us to keep her till they could get married and buy a house...well that didn't work out since they're no longer together, so I guess she's our dog now. We had pretty much decided within the first week she was here that she wasn't going anywhere anyway. Those are T's feet in the background as he's asleep on the couch this morning too.



As you can see, my rotten dogs do get on the furniture. We try to keep the 135 pounder off the furniture, but even she succeeds in defying us at times. In my younger days I never would've imagined letting dogs on the furniture. In fact, I used to have all sorts of rules for the first dog I had as an adult, but something about losing her after 12 years changed me into a "dog weirdo". Yup, I now understand those people who love their dogs too much. Never say never...that's what I've learned.

1 comment:

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Dogs rule! We're dog people at our house, too. We enjoy them SO much, and they bring us so much pleasure. It is awesome to be able to use our precious pet as an instrument in sharing the Gospel. It is so cool how God uses His creation for His purpose and how He uses whatever we have and are willing to give to Him.

Enjoying seeing and reading about your pups!