Friday, July 25, 2008

The Money Pit

The pool in our back yard...ugh..my son has renamed it "the pit of despair" and says we should have a plaque saying such made for it. I have many times called it the "money pit" myself. Well it has some sort of problem with the drain which meant my husband would've had to cut out a large portion of the pool (it's an in-ground fiberglass pool) and build back the drain area. That also meant ordering from out of town a drain to replace the old one. All in all, lots more work and time on top of work and time already put into the pool.

Why not just fill the pool in with dirt? Good question, and we've thought about it. Problem is that from what I understand, that it would cost a couple thousand bucks to do even that. Hubby fixing the pool himself will only cost several hundred and then we'll have the pool back...I hope.

So hubby has decided to "teletubbie the pool"..his words. I offered up that maybe we were doing a "Kyle XY" on the pool. For those of you who are totally confused by now, what this means is that we have decided that our pool will no longer have a belly button a.k.a. drain. D says that he never uses the drain, so he's just going to do the repair by patching and painting over it.

Isn't there a reason that you're supposed to have a pool drain? Well I kinda thought that since pools all have them (all except mine now), that there must be some sort of need for them. D says that since we have a pump that we can pull the water out with if we need to drain it, then no. Okie dokie.

Ya know what? If surgery on my pool makes it look like a freak to other pools, I'm so sorry, but I'm all for it. If it will give us back our pool, costs less, and D will be a happy camper then I say go for it. We will just have to console our pool when other pools laugh at it by swimming happily and making it feel needed again. Surely it would be better than the life it's lived for the past couple of weeks.

4 comments:

His Girl said...

"teletubby" the pool!
ha!

Susan said...

Suzanne,
found your blog on Sarah's Cleft of the Rock.
What is it is you are itching to do, like the singer, Emily? Go, girl! I'm on a similar journey and working to let God make of me what he created me to be.
By the way, Redeeming Love is my favorie book, too!

Sing4joy said...

I would like to help your pool feel complete by swimming in it. At this point I would be happy to stick my face in two inches of rain water because it is so nasty hot here!

Suzanne said...

Well my 16 yr. old has a pool party planned for Thursday evening (if it has water in it by then) and I'm sure she wouldn't mind sharing the pool, so come on down!