Sunday, July 6, 2008

I'm a packrat...or a recovering packrat hopefully

Matthew 6:19-20 (New International Version)
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Wow, do I wish I had found flylady sooner. Then maybe I wouldn't have spent quite so much time this last couple of years getting rid of STUFF...tons and tons of STUFF. Today I got 5 large trash bags full out of my middle daughter K's closet, two of them just trash and 3 of them old toys (and believe it or not there is still more in there!). I am just so thankful that I have learned to let go of these things.

In the past, I would say too often "I might need that later" and I couldn't bear to get rid of miscellaneous junk. I could always think of some way that most everything could be used or would be used (as in many years later when I eventually have grandchildren). So I tried for years, buying all sizes of plastic storage boxes, to organize my clutter...till flylady helped me to realize you can't organize clutter!

I think a big part of hoarding, which is what I guess I have done, is in a way not trusting God to provide for my needs. I have to remind myself that if I need something, God will provide. I don't need to hold on to every tiny bit of what I have collected over these many years. So another freedom I now have in the Lord is the freedom to let go of earthly treasures, knowing that my real treasure is in heaven.

Woohoo! God is good, all the time!

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

another great post! i love to purge out all the junk! i am the opposite of a pack-rat (it's gotten me in trouble a time or two). anyway, love what you said about our treasure is really in heaven.

-sheryl

lrh said...

Ouch. That hit a little close to home. I am a closet pack rat. I always think - the girls might want that one day. They usually don't but I hang on to it just in case they change their minds. You definitely give some food for thought here.