Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Spiritual Warfare

Ephesians 6:12 (New International Version)
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

There is spiritual warfare going on in my home right now. I feel it in my marriage, in raising my children, in my walk with God. I am working so hard to be the best mother, wife, and child of God. Then the fear starts to overtake me...and I speak Jesus to the fear. I sing to Him and I pray.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust You.
How I've proved You o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust You more!

I am ashamed of myself when, for whatever reason, I give in to the fear. Why am I not remaining grounded in what I know to be true? Why don't I trust Him ALWAYS in my life? Why is that so hard for me? Why do I feel little aches and pains and begin to be afraid that I may die today?

Psalm 27:1 (New International Version)
The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?


I remember when I first felt the Peace that passes understanding, in the midst of tremendous fear and pain. Oh, what a miracle it was to feel God's Peace that day! I don't remember exactly what I was going to the counselor to talk about. I just know that whatever I had planned to talk about was terrifying to me at the time. Just driving to the counselor's office was such an exhausting chore as I would grip the steering wheel so tightly that my hands hurt. But not that day. That day I felt The Lord lift my burden, unexpectedly. The heavy weight and pressure that my body had felt simply vanished from my consciousness. The overwhelming sense of Peace enveloped my body and my spirit. I wept and I thanked God.

Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version)
6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I believe that Peace is always available to those who know Jesus. So why don't I always feel it? Why won't I trust Him enough?

Dear Father, I pray that through your grace I will learn to trust you more, every day and in every way and that all that I do and say will bring You glory! I pray this in the name of your Son Jesus Christ. Amen!

3 comments:

Joan said...

Thanks for being candid about your fears. Sometimes I long for heaven so much that I can't stand it, but until that glorious day, we all live in this world. Thank Heaven, we have a great big God on our side and we know how the story ends. God Bless!

Sheryl said...

Suzanne, you said "why am I not remaining grounded in what I know to be true"...wait until you read MY post for today. God is trying to teach all His children the same thing right now. You're gettin' it, don't let it get you down. Your faith is growing by leaps and bounds.

Thanks for your comments about David. It's sweet that you miss your kids when they're gone. Don't take this the wrong way, I really don't miss him, I'm just so excited for what he's doing. And it's one less teenager to get from here to there everyday!!

Love ya
Sheryl

lrh said...

I read this during my quiet time this morning and thought of what you had posted.
Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
Isn't it great to know that even when we are struggling He knows exactly what we are feeling, how to deal with it, and is there to comfort us? Keep pressing on.