Tuesday, July 1, 2008

30 Days Develops a Habit?

That's what they say, isn't it...that if you do something for 30 days it will become habit. I guess I'm developing the habit of finding a verse a day. So here's a verse for this first day of July. I guess it could still be AVADIJ, huh?

Psalm 119:10 (New International Version)
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.


So I'll be truthful now and tell you that I don't seek the Lord with all my heart every single day. I wish I did. How much simpler and more peaceful would my life be if I did? I want to. And I mean to. It's just that I get caught up in my every day life and I forget to seek Him with all my heart. I let other things pull my heart in different directions away from Him...directions of fear, directions of disappointment, directions of frustration. I forget that if I continually seek Him with alll my heart those things won't matter. Those things won't pull my heart away from Him.

On Sunday our pastor preached on James 4:7-8:
James 4:7-8 (New International Version)
7Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you.

Our pastor asked if we wanted to know what we could do this week that would make a significant difference in our lives. Then he talked about three things you can do to insure that.

1. Submit yourself to God.

My take is that I am to submit to His will above my own and do what I know He wants me to do rather than keep doing things He has continually told me aren't in my best interest.

2. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

For me personally, I need to stop acting like I don't have the resources to resist doing the things God has told me to stop doing. I am reminded that "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

3. Come near to God and He will come near to you.

How can I come near to Him when I know I am consciously doing things that put a separation wall between us? I know what He has been telling me for so long and I know what I need to do to draw near to Him.

That message made an impression on me. So the last couple of days I have really been focusing on how I can achieve this for my life. I want so badly to be a woman after God's heart.

I pray that the Father will continue to teach me to do His will and that I will actually listen to Him when He tells me what His will is for me. Then maybe I can truly say "I seek You with all my heart".

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Great post! Big sigh, I seem to have trouble with some of it. One verse God spoke to me through was in Isaiah, Stop doing wrong and learn to do right.

I'm still on the stop doing wrong.

Jenny

Sheryl said...

wow suzanne, you're becoming a regular old writer!! awesome post. and i love that you're still doing a verse a day. we all should be!

it's so fun for me to watch you grow in your confidence.

Sheryl

Joan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I thought I would check out yours. Great reminder to continue on our spiral up and not spiral down. Have a blessed day!