Friday, July 18, 2008

K's Dr. Appointment

I was trying to do up a cool banner this morning and had some trouble with it, but HisGirl was sweet enough to fix it for me (thanks so much). She so totally rocks!

I took my 16 yr. old to see the psychologist who specializes in Asperger's Syndrome and after our time with him today, he's pretty sure that's what we're dealing with. It's what we have suspected for a few months now, so not a surprise or anything. Hopefully he can help us to figure out some things she can work on to help her with social skills. Maybe he can also help us to figure out how to have fewer "arguments"- K's word for it (Asperger's kids have a tendency to get highly emotional at times). As Asperger's kids go, she's very high functioning though. She's kind of a super genius at things involving music and has a really high grade point average at school.

I have known since K was little that there was something different about her and her dad always says she's wired differently (which the doc says is exactly right). I even used to say that I thought she was "slightly autistic". I guess I waited till now to have her tested because she's always adapted at school so well and most of the difficulties have been here at home. Plus I guess I was just in denial and thought she was just going through a stage.

Now that K's going to be a junior in high school, I can tell that there are certain things about her that are just always going to be that way. I'm fine with that now and thankful that she's not affected by A.S. as severely as some people are. I would just like to make sure that she gets any help she needs to move into adulthood.

2 comments:

His Girl said...

Hey, chica! You did all the work- I just saved it for you- and I think it turned out very nicely!

I think there's something about knowing what that THING is that brings some comfort... may you find exactly what will best help your daughter along the path God chose for her :)

Gretchen said...

I've been down this type of road with my son, and though he doesn't have Asperger's per se, he shares many of the social problems and feelings of loneliness and frustration which can be common.

Blessings to you all.