Monday, June 23, 2008

On Wings Like Eagles

AVADIJ

Isaiah 40:31 (New International Version)
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.


This was the first verse that popped into my head today to be my "a verse a day in june" because I'm tired. I'm not overly exhausted, just being wimpy because I've been used to sleeping in since it's summer time...yes, the joys of working in the school district. However, today I had a teacher training day and while I'm not an actual teacher (I'm an aide), I still had to be there for the training all boring day long. Yes, there were some things that were interesting and might be helpful in the future, but mostly just boredom...lol.

I almost didn't pick the above verse, since it seems like one that you would use if you were feeling a little worse than I am. Then I went to biblegateway.com to search out a verse. I figured I'd search a little in my favorite places like Ephesians and Colossians and see what I could find. And then there it was, on the main web page..the biblegateway verse of the day..yup, the one above. So I figured that maybe that was the one I was meant to use today.

I think sometimes we wait to call on the Lord to renew our strength until we are completely sapped. Maybe we should be doing a little renewing on a regular basis (and for me that means every single day) so that we don't end up completely falling down first. I find that I desperately need that time of taking in His Word, even if that doesn't mean that I'm spending real quality "quiet time".

A prayer that I pray nearly every day is "Please Lord keep me from falling spiritually, emotionally or physically". Years ago, I fell (physically) a few times within a fairly short period of time. I am overweight and it's true what they say "the bigger you are, the harder you fall". I was also going through a time that I was falling emotionally and spiritually on a regular basis. Because of the physical falls, once or twice partially down my stairs at home, I began to be fearful that I would fall again. That is why I began to pray that prayer.

It just seems to me that when we are open to what the Lord wants to do in our lives He will use the big things, the small things, anything and everything to help us move toward the goals He has for us. He used my physical pain in what I consider to be an unusual way to help get me through my emotional and spiritual pain because whenever I would think about the possibility of another physical fall, I would say that prayer and get my focus in line to keep from other types of falls as well.

I learned that I need to focus on Him in all aspects of my life. I don't have to wait until I have that "quiet time". I understand that that is important, but I can also find other ways of keeping in touch with my Lord. I can keep in touch by reading the blogs of my Christian friends with the verses they choose and their perspectives about them. I can keep in touch by listening to praise and worship music. I can keep in touch by remembering to be thankful for all things. All of these help me to put my focus where it should always be, on my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and they are the things that renew my strength so that I can soar!

Wow, I thought today's post was just going to be AVADIJ and might not have even posted at all today if not for the fact that I did make the commitment to put up a verse a day this month. Thank you again to Gretchen for the challenge. You have no idea how much it has helped me!

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Suzanne, one of my favorite verses! And I kid you not, I was just on the phone with a friend talking about eagles!! I love how they're "kicked" from the nest and then are swooped up and saved.

God sees us and in His timing He comes in and saves. I often wish His timing was just a little quicker. ha!

Great post.
Sheryl