Thursday, June 26, 2008

Psalm 119 is AMAZING!

AVADIJ
Psalm 119:71
It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.

I was prompted to read psalm 119 this morning by Mel's blog. I haven't read psalm 119 all the way through in quite some time...maybe because it takes quite some time to read. It is after all, the longest chapter in the bible. And what a beautiful chapter it is! I could've found my "A Verse A Day In June" for every single day in that one psalm. So it was really hard to pick one, but this is the one I decided to pick because I truly feel it.

It was because of my affliction, my affliction being all the scars left on my heart from the things I'd been through, that did lead me to learn His decrees. I had to be in the lowest pit of my life before I could truly accept The Lord for all He is. It took my being broken to get me to the point that I could give up self and accept His will for my life. I now know that it truly was good for me to be afflicted and I thank Him for the scars.

My life was a constant struggle for so many years. I fought against sadness over who I could've been if I had not been through the things I've been through. I fought against anxiety because there was a part of me that was always asking what will happen next? What scars are coming? I fought against the fear of what could happen to my children. I fought against so many things, but the fact is that I don't have to fight anymore. Christ can take the struggle for me. He fights the battles for me if only I let Him.

Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of my former life. I begin to feel some of the anxiety that used to overwhelm me every day, but then Jesus reminds me of who I am in Him. He reminds me that he has given me that peace that passes understanding. He reminds me of the times when I have been so close to Him that there was truly NO place I'd rather be than right there in His loving arms. He reminds me that I need only to trust Him that ALL things work together for my good because I love Him and I have been called according to His purpose. And my former life is gone.

Thank You Lord. Praise You Lord!

5 comments:

Jenster said...

Only God can take you from where you were to where you are now. How great He is!

Anonymous said...

Yes, and Amen! So glad to have you visit my blog -- even more glad for you to find truly healing in Jesus Christ and in His beautiful Word!!

Stop by again. There's always something fun going on....

lrh said...

Amen.
I found myself battling negativity about a year ago and He was so gracious to me. I was surprised to have it overwhelm me until the Lord showed me just how long I had been letting it creep in. I am just thankful He is bigger than all else.
Thanks for visiting my little space. We have a few things in common. I am a teacher who used to be a TA and am married to a Sped teacher. Your scriptures this week from Isaiah and Ephesians are also some of our favorite verses.

Lisa said...

What a testimony. Its difficult to think those things when we are going through something hard, but ALWAYS I can look back and recognize that He was closest when I needed Him the most.

Sheryl said...

suzanne, what a great post! your scars are certainly becoming a thing of beauty. i love watching what God is doing in your life.

love,
sheryl